Top Doom (related) Albums of 2011

For Doom Metal, Sludge, Drone and their variants.

Moderators: The Weaver of Dreams, HugeTheConqueror

Top Doom (related) Albums of 2011

Postby Bear » 05 Jan 2012, 15:23

Perpetual Winter's Doom (Related) List for 2011

1. The Devil's Blood (Hol) - The Thousandfold Epicenter (Psychedelic/Doom/Hard Rock)
2. Loss (US-TN) - Despond (Death/Doom)
3. Sisters of Your Sunshine Vapor (US-MI) - Spectra Spirit (Psychedelic/Doom/Acid Rock)
4. Yob (US-OH) - Atma (Extreme Traditional/Doom)
5. Blood Ceremony (Can) - Living with the Ancients (Traditional/Doom/Occult Rock)
6. Esoteric (UK) - Paragon of Dissonance (Funeral Doom)
7. Earth Flight (Ger) - Blue Hour Confessions (Suicide Rock)
8. Orchid (US-CA) - Capricorn (Traditional/Doom)
9. Buffalo Witch (US-MI) - Buffalo Witch (Stoner/Doom)
10. Lord Vicar (Fin) - Signs of Osiris (Traditional/Doom)
11. Argus (US-MD) - Boldly Stride the Doomed (Traditional/Doom Metal)
12. Fleshpress (Fin) - Acid Mouth Strangulation (Extreme Doom/Drone/Sludge)
13. Premonition 13 (US-CA) - 13 (Traditional/Doom)
14. Wooden Stake (US-TX/NY) - Dungeon Prayers & Tomyard Serenades (Traditional/Death/Doom)
15. Thorr-Axe (US-IN) - Wall of Spears (Traditional/Thrash/Doom)
16. Seidr (US-KY) - For Winter Fire (Death/Doom)
17. Hands of Orlac (UK) - S/T (Traditional/Doom)
18. Witch Mountain (US-OR) - South of Salem (Traditional/Doom)
19. Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats (UK) - Blood Lust (Traditional/Psychedelic/Doom)
20. Northless (US-WI) - Clandestine Abuse (Extreme Doom/Sludge)

Best Demo:

Aeternum Sacris (Jap) - Return (Demo) (Funeral/Death/Doom)
Aeternum Sacris (Jap) - (11-03-2011) (Demo) (Funeral/Death/Doom)

All links are to legitimate free downloads from the band. Both Aeternum Sacris links lead to a blog that Sacris authorized to distribute the demos.
Bear
Brother of TMO - Bear

Re: Top Doom (related) Albums of 2011

Postby RondofedoR » 05 Jan 2012, 20:10

Nice list, Bear.

I've yet to give The Devil's Blood a solid listen yet, but coincidentally, I actually turned it on today for a couple songs. Enjoyable thus far.

Yob was an early favorite and remained that way. Very excited to see Tool and Yob at the Garden later this month.

Been meaning to get Orchid.

Reviewed Thorr Axe's new one earlier in the year. Good stuff. Room to grow, but definitely promising band.

I really enjoyed Bloodiest's debut album and Black Pyramid's "Stormbringer," and I'm currently attempting to divvy out listens to:
Rwake's "Rest"
Monkeypriest's "The Psalm"
Mare Infinitum's "Sea of Infinity"
Indian's "Guiltless"
Hydromedusa's self-titled
Encoffination's "O' Hell, Shine in Thy Whited Sepulchres"
Elder's "Dead Roots Stirring"
The Gates of Slumber's "The Wretch"

I'll definitely keep your list handy. Thanks for the rec's.
RondofedoR
Brother of TMO - Evan

Postby HugeTheConqueror » 17 Feb 2012, 15:41

Bear wrote:11. Argus (US-MD) - Boldly Stride the Doomed (Traditional/Doom Metal)

For some reason, this one didn’t really do much for me, and I can’t quite put my finger on why. I know that Argus has received a lot of critical acclaim, both for their debut and for this release, and I certainly can’t find anything specific to fault them for. This wasn’t bad, it just didn’t move me all that much.

Bear wrote:14. Wooden Stake (US-TX/NY) - Dungeon Prayers & Tomyard Serenades (Traditional/Death/Doom)

Love this band, love this album. Vanessa Nocera’s vocals are so reminiscent of Stevie Nicks, which complements the foreboding atmosphere of the music. The cavernous production quality reminds me a lot of early Gothic and Darkwave stuff, and fits this music perfectly. I also highly recommend the split with Blizaro. Also, anyone who missed out on the official demo "Vampire Plague Exorcism (only 2 pressings of 100 copies each through Razorback Records) can get all of the tunes from it on the newly released compilation “At The Stroke Of Midnight.”

Bear wrote:16. Seidr (US-KY) - For Winter Fire (Death/Doom)

This one slipped in under the radar for a lot of people, which is a shame because it is quite good. Heavily influenced by the eco-Black Metal sound of member Austin Lund’s main project Panopticon, this is some really cool stuff.

RondofedoR wrote: The Gates of Slumber's "The Wretch"

I know that The Gates Of Slumber are somewhat polarizing here at TMO – Neil really didn’t much care for this one, (his review is here)and there were some internal discussions last year with Ailo and me singing the praises of “Hymns Of Blood And Thunder,” and one of the other Brothers not caring for it much (that discussion was on the old board, and I can’t remember who exactly that was). For me, The Gates Of Slumber have delivered consistently high-quality Doom – not a bad album in their discography. This didn’t excite me as much as “Hymns Of Blood And Thunder”, “Conqueror,” or “Suffer No Guilt,” but I still thought it was one of the better releases of 2011.

I would also throw in some love for
Across Tundras – Sage
Enth – s/t
Isole – Born From Shadows
Novembers Doom – Aphotic
The Wounded Kings – In The Chapel Of The Black Hand
HugeTheConqueror
Brother of TMO - Steve

Postby Bear » 18 Feb 2012, 12:39

HugeTheConqueror wrote:
Bear wrote:11. Argus (US-MD) - Boldly Stride the Doomed (Traditional/Doom Metal)

For some reason, this one didn’t really do much for me, and I can’t quite put my finger on why. I know that Argus has received a lot of critical acclaim, both for their debut and for this release, and I certainly can’t find anything specific to fault them for. This wasn’t bad, it just didn’t move me all that much.

To be honest I was expecting more from it. I don't have any huge problems with it, but the songs aren't quite as hard hitting as I'd prefer.

Bear wrote:14. Wooden Stake (US-TX/NY) - Dungeon Prayers & Tomyard Serenades (Traditional/Death/Doom)

Love this band, love this album. Vanessa Nocera’s vocals are so reminiscent of Stevie Nicks, which complements the foreboding atmosphere of the music. The cavernous production quality reminds me a lot of early Gothic and Darkwave stuff, and fits this music perfectly. I also highly recommend the split with Blizaro. Also, anyone who missed out on the official demo "Vampire Plague Exorcism (only 2 pressings of 100 copies each through Razorback Records) can get all of the tunes from it on the newly released compilation “At The Stroke Of Midnight.”

Been a fan of this band since the inception. Elektrokutioner is one of the hardest working cats in Metal right now. I try to keep up, but its impossible.

This one slipped in under the radar for a lot of people, which is a shame because it is quite good. Heavily influenced by the eco-Black Metal sound of member Austin Lund’s main project Panopticon, this is some really cool stuff.

That is pretty much what happens when you're from Kentucky. I really need to get my telephone interface back because I'd love to get Lund on the phone. I'm huge fan of Panopticon, and this project probably ranks right with the Black Metal greatness.

RondofedoR wrote: The Gates of Slumber's "The Wretch"

I know that The Gates Of Slumber are somewhat polarizing here at TMO – Neil really didn’t much care for this one, (his review is here)and there were some internal discussions last year with Ailo and me singing the praises of “Hymns Of Blood And Thunder,” and one of the other Brothers not caring for it much (that discussion was on the old board, and I can’t remember who exactly that was). For me, The Gates Of Slumber have delivered consistently high-quality Doom – not a bad album in their discography. This didn’t excite me as much as “Hymns Of Blood And Thunder”, “Conqueror,” or “Suffer No Guilt,” but I still thought it was one of the better releases of 2011.

Yeah, that could have easily ended up on my list as well. Of course, I'd have to say things have massively shifted around since I made this up a couple months ago.

I would also throw in some love for
Across Tundras – Sage
Enth – s/t

What kind Doom? Of course, I may have checked 'em out by the time you respond, but still. ;-)

Isole – Born From Shadows
Novembers Doom – Aphotic

All very solid albums. The Wounded Kings would make it on a revamp. The Isole and November's Doom are good, but nothing I found myself going for.
Bear
Brother of TMO - Bear

Postby HugeTheConqueror » 20 Feb 2012, 09:39

Bear wrote:
HugeTheConqueror wrote:

Been a fan of this band since the inception. Elektrokutioner is one of the hardest working cats in Metal right now. I try to keep up, but its impossible.

I actually came to this one after reading the review for the demo on Doommentia, and managed to grab a copy before they were gone. Both Elektrokutioner and Vanessa are prolific and talented. They also collaborate with Vanessa’s husband Billy (owner of Razorback Records) and Nev from Kaiju on what is currently a demo-only project called Loathsome. Like the first Wooden Stake demo, it is available via Razorback Records, and was only pressed in 100 copies. It’s pretty good, but a bit short (4 songs – 11 minutes).

Having also become a big fan of the band Druid Lord, I have been exposed to a bit more of Vanessa’s work – there is a Druid Lord/Wooden Stake split 7”, and then another split between Druid Lord and Skeletal Spectre, another Death/Doom band for which Vanessa does vocals. She is also in Scaremaker, who just recently released a split CD with Crypticus.

Bear wrote:
HugeTheConqueror wrote:

That is pretty much what happens when you're from Kentucky. I really need to get my telephone interface back because I'd love to get Lund on the phone. I'm huge fan of Panopticon, and this project probably ranks right with the Black Metal greatness.

Yeah, I live right across the Ohio River from Kentucky, in the Cincinnati area, and know that it is not exactly an area that gets a lot of attention for its artists. I have met Austin at several shows in Louisville, and the guy is one-of-a-kind. Panopticon is a great band, playing somewhat in the tradition of Agalloch and Wolves In The Throne Room (more like the latter than the former in my opinion). Austin also did all the drumming on the latest album from Falls Of Rauros.

HugeTheConqueror wrote:
Bear wrote:I would also throw in some love for
Across Tundras – Sage
Enth – s/t

What kind Doom? Of course, I may have checked 'em out by the time you respond, but still. ;-)

Across Tundras was really difficult for me to categorize, so I’d accept criticism that they really aren’t Doom. I find them kind of like Blood Ceremony or Devil, crossed with Kyuss or Mastodon, with an atmosphere from the American Southwest. I reviewed it here.

The Enth release is available only as vinyl or download, and is Funeral Doom. They also have a split with Amarok that just became available for pre-order last week. Both are available athttp://www.orcawolf.com/.

HugeTheConqueror wrote:
Bear wrote:Isole – Born From Shadows
Novembers Doom – Aphotic

All very solid albums. The Wounded Kings would make it on a revamp. The Isole and November's Doom are good, but nothing I found myself going for.

The new one from The Wounded Kings was very solid. The switch to a female vocalist made things a little bit more trance-inducing. These guys know how to sound like Electric Wizard but yet still have their own sound.
HugeTheConqueror
Brother of TMO - Steve

Return to Doom Metal