Subcategories of Death Metal

For Death Metal, Grindcore and their variants.

Moderator: The Weaver of Dreams

Subcategories of Death Metal

Postby Túrin Turambar » 13 Jan 2012, 09:11

Into what main subcategories do you think that Death Metal should be divided? I think that there is an enormous confusion about this. For example, in our compatibility matrix we have DM (brutal), DM (progressive) and DM (melodic). I miss some sort of DM there, that is normal and not particularly brutal (Entombed or Unleashed for example). Others have seen the main division as one between Swedish and American-styled Death Metal. Bear argues that Melodeath and Melodic Death Metal are different genres and that only the latter is to be included in Death Metal. Others would see them as the same and either include it all or leave all of it out of the DM umbrella.

How should Death Metal be divided and understood? Give me your thoughts ...
Túrin Turambar
Brother of TMO - Adam

Re: Subcategories of Death Metal

Postby Memnarch » 13 Jan 2012, 09:43

When I was filling out the compatibility matrix thingy I couldn't figure what to put really for Death Metal. I love all the old school dank, dirty and horrible death metal, stuff such as Autopsy, Sadistic Intent, Rottrevore, Cruciamentum, Excoriate and Morbus Chron etc etc you get my jist. Melodic/Gothenburg isn't really my thing, neither is blasturbation such as Benighted, Blood Red Throne et-al who I would assume come under Brutal Death Metal.
Memnarch
Brother of TMO - Chris C.

Postby Túrin Turambar » 13 Jan 2012, 10:39

Exactly, that is part of my point. Stockholm Death doesn't seem to fit into any of those categories either.
Túrin Turambar
Brother of TMO - Adam

Postby Bear » 20 Jan 2012, 02:43

Which is simply why Death Metal is Death Metal (and Melodeath is just poorly named and has little to do with Death Metal, and that includes just about every post 2001-Gothenburg style release). Stockholm Style Death Metal IS the style of Death Metal, and if I were to go any further I'd say Old School, but all that matters is its Death Metal. As for our "compatibility matrix" its one of the worst genrefication breakdowns I've ever seen, needs to be scrapped entirely.

However, did you really just put Death/Grinders Benighted in the same group as Cannibal Corpse tribute band Blood Red Throne? Really dude?
Bear
Brother of TMO - Bear

Postby Memnarch » 20 Jan 2012, 07:20

I suppose they have more integrity that that yeah :lol: But they're just not my thing, bore the tits off me
Memnarch
Brother of TMO - Chris C.

Postby Bear » 22 Jan 2012, 12:42

Memnarch wrote:I suppose they have more integrity that that yeah :lol: But they're just not my thing, bore the tits off me

Integrity, eh? Actually I'd say Benighted has far more integrity than a clone band ;-). Of course, I'll be the one to tell you that if you can't hear the subtle melodies interweaving between Guitar and Bass lines on Mortician albums you're deaf :-D (but it took til I saw them live to break through that wall). In the end I don't question the integrity of the band unless they made a CLEAR sound shift towards a trend after the trend is in full swing. Blood Red Throne is another compilation band, fuck their full lengths, but you can make a damn fine compilation. Benighted's "Asylum Cave" was a contender for my top list though. Their previous work doesn't quite move me as much (and has a bit more -core influence), but that album is a 30 minutes of getting your fuckin' teeth kicked in. Any longer and it'd get boring, but they hit the mark on that one.
Bear
Brother of TMO - Bear

Postby RondofedoR » 24 Jan 2012, 12:11

Bear wrote:
Memnarch wrote:I suppose they have more integrity that that yeah :lol: But they're just not my thing, bore the tits off me

Integrity, eh? Actually I'd say Benighted has far more integrity than a clone band ;-). Of course, I'll be the one to tell you that if you can't hear the subtle melodies interweaving between Guitar and Bass lines on Mortician albums you're deaf :-D (but it took til I saw them live to break through that wall). In the end I don't question the integrity of the band unless they made a CLEAR sound shift towards a trend after the trend is in full swing. Blood Red Throne is another compilation band, fuck their full lengths, but you can make a damn fine compilation. Benighted's "Asylum Cave" was a contender for my top list though. Their previous work doesn't quite move me as much (and has a bit more -core influence), but that album is a 30 minutes of getting your fuckin' teeth kicked in. Any longer and it'd get boring, but they hit the mark on that one.

Speaking of teeth getting kicked in, the new Aborted is sounding just as intense, sans the off-putting pig vocals.
RondofedoR
Brother of TMO - Evan

Postby darkreif » 25 Jan 2012, 10:18

I seriously do not enjoy pig vocals. I haven't heard the new Aborted yet, but I've heard good things about the band - but that really doesn't bode well with my tastes. Sigh.
darkreif
Brother of TMO - Matt

Postby RondofedoR » 25 Jan 2012, 15:28

darkreif wrote:I seriously do not enjoy pig vocals. I haven't heard the new Aborted yet, but I've heard good things about the band - but that really doesn't bode well with my tastes. Sigh.

Oh, I'm talking about the last Benighted album having pig vocal/brees...not the new Aborted, which kills.
RondofedoR
Brother of TMO - Evan

Postby Bear » 30 Jan 2012, 11:52

RondofedoR wrote:
Bear wrote:

Speaking of teeth getting kicked in, the new Aborted is sounding just as intense, sans the off-putting pig vocals.

The new Aborted doesn't hold a candle to "Asylum Cave." "Asylum Cave" grabbed me instantly, "Global Flatline" is hanging around to see if it grows on me. It absolutely lived up to my expectations, a listenable BDM album, but no DM thus far in 2012 has lived up to very positive expectations (discounting the Horrendous album, but I heard that in December).
Bear
Brother of TMO - Bear

Return to Death Metal/Grindcore