The Metal Observer Forums

The Metal Observer Forums
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Top Albums Of 2009
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:22 pm 
TMO Supporter

My top 5, thus far:

1. God Dethroned - Passiondale
2. Hatesphere - To The Nines
3. Autumn - Altitude
4. Kreator - Hordes of Chaos
5. Obscura - Cosmogenesis

Eagerly awaiting new ones from Amorphis, Immortal, Destroyer666, and hopefully Circus Maximus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:11 pm 
TMO Supporter

Dare anyone forget Behemoth's Evangelion coming out in August?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:02 am 
Brother of TMO - Matt

If "Head Crusher" is any hint to the quality of Megadeth's "Endgame" then that will easily be my favorite album of the year! Followed closely by the titan release Kreator had and the amazing sophomore effort by Warbringer.

Jeez, three Thrash albums? Who would have known :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:59 am 
TMO Supporter

darkreif wrote:
If "Head Crusher" is any hint to the quality of Megadeth's "Endgame" then that will easily be my favorite album of the year! Followed closely by the titan release Kreator had and the amazing sophomore effort by Warbringer.

Jeez, three Thrash albums? Who would have known :D

Did you really like Kreator's "Hordes of Chaos"???
Well, it's a revisitation of "Enemy of God" (great album), which was a revisitation of "Violent Revolution", which was a revisitation...

When will Kreator get their fire back...? I really couldn't stand "Hordes of Chaos", it was nearly Power Metal, jeez!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:02 am 
Brother of TMO - Matt

Well, "Hordes Of Chaos" did have a lot of melody but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. Just cause it was different in that aspect doesn't mean it was a step back for them. In fact, songs like "Demon Prince" or "Escalation" are probably Thrashier then a lot of material on the last two albums (at least in my opinion). I think the band is pulling all the lessons they have learned together remarkably well whether its the Gothic tendencies from their brave albums or the more Groove orientation from "Enemy Of God" I think the band is making an even more unique sound for themselves then they had before.

Perhaps I just love Kreator :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:18 am 
TMO Supporter

darkreif wrote:
Well, "Hordes Of Chaos" did have a lot of melody but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. Just cause it was different in that aspect doesn't mean it was a step back for them. In fact, songs like "Demon Prince" or "Escalation" are probably Thrashier then a lot of material on the last two albums (at least in my opinion). I think the band is pulling all the lessons they have learned together remarkably well whether its the Gothic tendencies from their brave albums or the more Groove orientation from "Enemy Of God" I think the band is making an even more unique sound for themselves then they had before.

Perhaps I just love Kreator :D

It is obvious that the band is trying to find a "new" sound, but "unique" will be very difficult nowadays (the most "unique" thing I've found lately was Cynic's "Traced in Air" -which I really loved-), and even more difficult when talking about a Thrash Metal band.

But well, it's OK, I agree with bands that try to make some experimentation with sound (for Hell's sake, I like "St Anger") or structures, specially when everyone is expecting the opposite. The paradigm of constant change and (some) experimentation with success might be Judas Priest, constantly reinventing their sound without losing their way.

If Kreator is trying to "find a new sound", I think that this would be Kreator's "Point of Entry" (continuing with the Priest analogy)...but that's just your point. I can't see any taken risks in "Hordes of Chaos". It's just an "I feel comfortable with this sound, we've been succesful, so let's take the essence of our last two albums (maybe som outtakes too) and make a 'potpourri' of it but recording it like we did in the beginning".

What do you get by doing this? A beautiful promotion: "Kreator has mixed the sound of their last succesful albums but without losing their roots. Oh, yeah, Kreator back to the origins!"

...bollocks! The only connection I find between "Hordes..." and "Pleasure To Kill" is the name of the band, but this ain't the problem -again, I like experimentation. The problem here is the feeling of comfort that attacked Petrozza & Co's brain during composition of this album.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:08 am 
Brother of TMO - Matt

Yeah, I agree with you on that one. It is a comfortable sound in a (sort of) experimental way. Little Thrash here, little Gothic tendency here, some Power chord work here, but for me it was an awesome combination.

Perhaps I'm the only that thought "Pleasure To Kill" was overrated - yeah its Thrashy as hell, and balls out fast but for some reason (the production doesn't help) I just find that album to not catch my fancy. I much prefer early Slayer or early Sodom then that one. Although I also think that Destruction's debut was a bit overrated too.

I also must admit I respect you for claiming your liking of "St. Anger".

And back on topic, I am also looking forward to Behemoth's new one in August. If its anything like their last album then it will be in my top list for the year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:27 am 
TMO Supporter

Hell yeah, I've never been disappointed by any Behemoth release. If you check out the "making of" videos of their new album you can hear a bunch of sound clips - and it sounds amazing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:47 am 
Brother of TMO - Eric V.

My only problem with Behemoth, and their newer albums, is that everything sounds so damned over-produced, clean and sterile. I understand going for epic, and it takes a pretty pristine production to achieve what Behemoth is going for, but come on! Where's the grit that death metal desires?!? I mean, Nile is epic as hell without the sheen and processed-to-death vocals.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:18 pm 
TMO Supporter

I have to disagree. Sure the "over"-production of the vocals may seem unnatural, I think that unnaturalness makes the band sound even more "evil" if you will. In fact I find the vocals to be one of the best parts of Behemoth (argh! those layers are so awesome!) not to mention Inferno's stupendous drumming skill.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:14 pm 
Brother of TMO - Matt

I actually prefer newer Behemoth when they started doing the over production partially cause that's when I was introduced to the band is on "Demigod". So I'm sure that has something to do with it. Inferno is a killer drummer though, I have to agree. I have friends going to Mayhem Festival and I want to see if they can try to get some autographs! Cross my fingers!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:55 am 
Brother of TMO - Eric V.

I know a whole lot of people really like the new Behemoth stuff, which is cool. I don't necessarily dislike it, but find many other bands more to my liking, simply because they sound more "natural", if you will. And I would never question the musicianship of Behemoth, as it's clearly awesome. I just wonder what they last two albums (and likely the new one) would sound like with a production/mix more akin to "Zos Kia Cultus", which, in my opinion, was Behemoth's last "organic" sounding recording.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:28 am 
Brother of TMO - Adam

So far:

1. Månegarm - Nattväsen
2. Ensiferum - From Afar
3. Amorphis - Skyforger
4. Arkona - Goi, Rode, Goi!
5. Suidakra - Crogacht
6. Glittertind - Landkjenning
7. Hammerfall - No Sacrifice, No Victory
8. Týr - By the Light of the Northern Star
9. Korpiklaani - Karkelo
10. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
11. Ex Deo - Romulus
12. Silver Cypher - Cryptic Characters
13. Immortal - All Shall Fall
14. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest
15. Mean Streak - Metal Slave
16. Saxon - Into the Labyrinth
17. Savage Circus - Of Doom and Death
18. Sonata Arctica - The Days of Grays
19. Sinister Realm - Sinister Realm
20. Kalevala - The Cuckoo's Children

Latest update, 2 December.

Last edited by Túrin Turambar on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 14 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:51 am 
Brother of TMO - Armen

Suffocation - Blood Oath is absolutely monstrous.

It's probably going to wind up in my top 5.

Then again, I'm a Suffocation fanboy, so there is a slight bias :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:50 pm 
TMO Supporter

The Dethalbum II is coming out later this year too - I don't know about any of you guys, but the first one's simplicity and pure hilarity was a hit with me.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next