The Metal Observer Forums

The Metal Observer Forums
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:18 am 
TMO Reader

I didnt once use the word 'gay'. If you want a more objective analysis I will try my best.

-I find the lyrical content to be ridiculous, mature adults should not be singing about dragons.
-I find the vocals to be extremly annoying. I listen to metal to get away from high pitched pop vocals, yet they are in power metal. Some people like the vocals, good for them, I don't.
-The music in general is usually not to bad, as I said, some decent solos. Basically the vocals ruin the whole genre for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:40 am 
TMO Regular

Location: Land of wine and cheese, we've lost every war we've been in
Now I totally agree ;)

About vocals, each style can be considered as ruining the music.
The pig emulation used in grind or some death metal subgenres isn't exactly a pleasant listen, nor are the shrieking banshees in black metal.

Anyway, the use of arguments works much better for statements than just throwing in a few adjectives.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:03 pm 
TMO Nuts

<!--QuoteBegin-Lachlan+Jan 25 2006, 05:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lachlan @ Jan 25 2006, 05:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I didnt once use the word 'gay'. If you want a more objective analysis I will try my best.

-I find the lyrical content to be ridiculous, mature adults should not be singing about dragons.
-I find the vocals to be extremly annoying. I listen to metal to get away from high pitched pop vocals, yet they are in power metal. Some people like the vocals, good for them, I don't.
-The music in general is usually not to bad, as I said, some decent solos. Basically the vocals ruin the whole genre for me. [/quote]
All power metal is not about Dragons. Oh and most Power metal vocals sound nothing like Pop vocals. And why is it alright for a grown man to sing about Evil, satan, Demons, gutting and killing people, running around in a forest at midnight under a full moon with white fuckin paint on thier faces carrying maces, axes and staffs with skulls on the top.( I could go on for 2 pages) but they can't sing about fantasy related topics? Give me a break...... In my mind there are way more ridiculous lyrics and content in black metal then in Power metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:23 pm 
TMO Devil

<!--QuoteBegin-Duellist+Jan 25 2006, 08:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duellist @ Jan 25 2006, 08:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Lachlan+Jan 25 2006, 05:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lachlan @ Jan 25 2006, 05:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I didnt once use the word 'gay'. If you want a more objective analysis I will try my best.

-The music in general is usually not to bad, as I said, some decent solos. Basically the vocals ruin the whole genre for me. [/quote]
All power metal is not about Dragons. Oh and most Power metal vocals sound nothing like Pop vocals. And why is it alright for a grown man to sing about Evil, satan, Demons, gutting and killing people, running around in a forest at midnight under a full moon with white fuckin paint on thier faces carrying maces, axes and staffs with skulls on the top.( I could go on for 2 pages) but they can't sing about fantasy related topics? Give me a break...... In my mind there are way more ridiculous lyrics and content in black metal then in Power metal. [/quote]
I'm in full agreement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:45 pm 
TMO Nuts

<!--QuoteBegin-Paegan_Terrorist+Jan 25 2006, 09:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Paegan_Terrorist @ Jan 25 2006, 09:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'm in full agreement. [/quote]
As am I, though imo every genre has its fair share of cheesy (in the bad way) and ridiculous aspects ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:07 pm 
TMO Regular

<!--QuoteBegin-Duellist+Jan 25 2006, 08:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duellist @ Jan 25 2006, 08:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> In my mind there are way more ridiculous lyrics and content in black metal then in Power metal. [/quote]
Seen from a distance, all donkeys have long ears. Comparing their length doesn't make sense.

We have a draw here, but it reminded me why I stopped caring about lyrics a long time ago.

The issue is more the lack of maturity in the treatment, rather than the themes themselves.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:17 pm 
TMO Nuts

<!--QuoteBegin-Twice the half of Myself+Jan 25 2006, 04:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Twice the half of Myself @ Jan 25 2006, 04:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Duellist+Jan 25 2006, 08:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duellist @ Jan 25 2006, 08:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> In my mind there are way more ridiculous lyrics and content in black metal then in Power metal. [/quote]
Seen from a distance, all donkeys have long ears. Comparing their length doesn't make sense.

We have a draw here, but it reminded me why I stopped caring about lyrics a long time ago.

The issue is more the lack of maturity in the treatment, rather than the themes themselves. [/quote]
So let me get this straight, because someone has a interest in fantasy they are less mature then someone who doesn't. hahahahaha thats the stupidest thing I ever heard. I can't wait to lay that one on my D&D buddies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:29 pm 
TMO Regular

<!--QuoteBegin-Duellist+Jan 25 2006, 11:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duellist @ Jan 25 2006, 11:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> So let me get this straight, because someone has a interest in fantasy they are less mature then someone who doesn't. hahahahaha thats the stupidest thing I ever heard. I can't wait to lay that one on my D&D buddies. [/quote]
:confused:

Dude, where did I write this ?

I was talking about the lack of maturity in the treatment of fantasy themes in power metal lyrics ( or any other theme in any other subgenre ).

No offense, but you should stop making assumptions about the intelligence of people you don't know.

I still have a soft spot for fantasy, but it wore thin over the years.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:34 pm 
TMO Nuts

<!--QuoteBegin-Twice the half of Myself+Jan 25 2006, 04:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Twice the half of Myself @ Jan 25 2006, 04:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Duellist+Jan 25 2006, 11:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duellist @ Jan 25 2006, 11:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> So let me get this straight, because someone has a interest in fantasy they are less mature then someone who doesn't. hahahahaha thats the stupidest thing I ever heard. I can't wait to lay that one on my D&D buddies. [/quote]

I was talking about the lack of maturity in the treatment of fantasy themes in power metal lyrics ( or any other theme in any other subgenre ).

No offense, but you should stop making assumptions about the intelligence of people you don't know [/quote]
ahhh oops sorry my bad, I jumped the gun abit. I realize now that you were on my side. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:44 pm 
TMO Regular

<!--QuoteBegin-Duellist+Jan 25 2006, 11:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duellist @ Jan 25 2006, 11:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ahhh oops sorry my bad, I jumped the gun abit. I realize now that you were on my side. :lol: [/quote]
From a DnD point of view, I'm on no side at all. All the players I ever came across told me I'm far too independant in my thinking, even too much to fit in a full chaotic scheme. :firedevil:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:46 pm 
TMO Nuts

<!--QuoteBegin-Twice the half of Myself+Jan 25 2006, 04:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Twice the half of Myself @ Jan 25 2006, 04:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Duellist+Jan 25 2006, 11:17 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duellist @ Jan 25 2006, 11:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> So let me get this straight, because someone has a interest in fantasy they are less mature then someone who doesn't. hahahahaha thats the stupidest thing I ever heard. I can't wait to lay that one on my D&D buddies. [/quote]

No offense, but you should stop making assumptions about the intelligence of people you don't know.

I still have a soft spot for fantasy, but it wore thin over the years. [/quote]
Why may I ask has it wore thin for you? I have been into it for about 20 years and I will love it till the day I die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:48 pm 
TMO Nuts

<!--QuoteBegin-Twice the half of Myself+Jan 25 2006, 04:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Twice the half of Myself @ Jan 25 2006, 04:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Duellist+Jan 25 2006, 11:34 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duellist @ Jan 25 2006, 11:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ahhh oops sorry my bad,  I jumped the gun abit. I realize now that you were on my side. :lol: [/quote]
From a DnD point of view, I'm on no side at all. All the players I ever came across told me I'm far too independant in my thinking, even too much to fit in a full chaotic scheme. :firedevil: [/quote]
yes I realised that, thats not the side I meant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:09 pm 
TMO Regular

<!--QuoteBegin-Duellist+Jan 25 2006, 11:46 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duellist @ Jan 25 2006, 11:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Why may I ask has it wore thin for you? I have been into it for about 20 years and I will love it till the day I die. [/quote]
It's partly my fault, I consumed too much.
I began with the older classics ( Merritt, Rider Haggard ) and worked my way through the golden age (1920-1950).
I still found some good stuff from the 60's, but afterwards it started to get more and more repetitive.
Somewhere in the early 90's I came to the realisation that I didn't even need to read the new publications to know their content.
It was just like I had read them dozens of times before, and more than often better writen and more imaginative.

I just don't have the nerve anymore to consume mediocre products in the hope to find a pearl.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:20 pm 
TMO Nuts

ah I see, thats too bad. I do however know what you mean, I need a break myself every once in a while. Here, if you are looking for something different and imaginative to read check these series of books out. Probably the best series I've read in years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:09 pm 
TMO Supporter

I love fantasy! It is far better than reality :lol:

Duellist: I shall definately check out that G. R. R. Martin series - one of my friends also recommended it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next