The Metal Observer Forums

The Metal Observer Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:26 pm 
TMO Maniac

as will i, after i get tired of R.A salvatore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:07 pm 
TMO Nuts

<!--QuoteBegin-Count-Tyr+Jan 25 2006, 07:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Count-Tyr @ Jan 25 2006, 07:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> as will i, after i get tired of R.A salvatore [/quote]
That will never happen :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:09 am 
TMO Reader

<!--QuoteBegin-Duellist+Jan 25 2006, 12:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Duellist @ Jan 25 2006, 12:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Lachlan+Jan 25 2006, 05:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lachlan @ Jan 25 2006, 05:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I didnt once use the word 'gay'. If you want a more objective analysis I will try my best.

-I find the lyrical content to be ridiculous, mature adults should not be singing about dragons.
-I find the vocals to be extremly annoying. I listen to metal to get away from high pitched pop vocals, yet they are in power metal. Some people like the vocals, good for them, I don't.
-The music in general is usually not to bad, as I said, some decent solos. Basically the vocals ruin the whole genre for me. [/quote]
All power metal is not about Dragons. Oh and most Power metal vocals sound nothing like Pop vocals. And why is it alright for a grown man to sing about Evil, satan, Demons, gutting and killing people, running around in a forest at midnight under a full moon with white fuckin paint on thier faces carrying maces, axes and staffs with skulls on the top.( I could go on for 2 pages) but they can't sing about fantasy related topics? Give me a break...... In my mind there are way more ridiculous lyrics and content in black metal then in Power metal. [/quote]
Lyrical content in Black/Death/Grind may be stupid but you cant understand the lyrics anyway so it doesnt really matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:34 am 
TMO Nuts

Yeah, Salvatore is one of a kind. Basically his books have been the only source of fantasy (in book form) I've had in some years now. I don't have much time for any others and I really don't want to get disappointed by the same old storylines that are so abundant these days.

BTW, if you get tired of the more traditional fantasy you should give Terry Pratchett a try for some light-hearted and extremely funny fantasy ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:44 am 
TMO Regular

Well, I don't think power metal really gives a lack instrumentally. Take a look at Rhapsody and Dragonforce. Dragonforce have emensly speedy riffs with great instrumental parts. They put everything they got into there music. Also Rhapsody uses complete orchestras to get the msuic sounding the way they want. Also other bands do the same as well. I find it un thought out if you say this. I have listened to hundreds of power metal bands and I do not think they cop out on there isntruments. Some bands are not that good instrumentally but thats to be expected but to say the whole genre isnt that good because of this is lame. I also think the fantasy lyrics are getting over done but trully, Its intresting so I have no problem with it. But I have seen many other genres of metal singing epic so its not only a power metal thing but it was mainly derived from there. I think the extremely morbid lyrics of black and death metal are alot of the time over done. Comming from a huge Acid Bath fan this might sound strange but the intense volguaritys being song can be over done. But I trully don't care that much but singing about rapping young girls, tearing the flesh from inocent people, giving and recieving sodomy, ripping peoples orifices open and all the other extremely morbid themes is so much more immature and less intellectual then fantasy. I think a dragon here and there, a few orcs they just spice up the mix:) But I will agree that theres a few bands that do not put enough effort in there epic rightings and it just ends up being "Mighty Dragon, Fly!, FLy!, Fly! you mystical beast fly me to fairyland!" but oh well. I say epic rightings is on a higher plateau then death metal lyrics. But I am not toally agaisnt it because Acid Bath is awsome so. Well thats my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:00 am 
TMO Regular

Location: Land of wine and cheese, we've lost every war we've been in
<!--QuoteBegin-Sauceofallevils+Jan 27 2006, 06:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sauceofallevils @ Jan 27 2006, 06:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I say epic rightings is on a higher plateau then death metal lyrics. [/quote]
You can't compare both, that's just like saying metal is utter crap compared to classical music.
Not the same theme, not the same focus.

Bad lyrics stay bad whatever the theme is, and that works for the good ones too.
Stating that fantasy lyrics are inherently better is a nonsense

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:03 pm 
TMO Supporter

I dunno.
Maybe the first option.
My problem with MODERN Euro-power-metal is it's not HEAVY enough.
Too operatic, neo-classical, keyboardy, almost poppish.
That said, it beats the damn radio any day.
Now back to Exciter - Long Live The LOUD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:21 am 
TMO Regular

Well I like both lyric styles myself. I can say it is better in my personal opinion. But I can not say it is with out a doubt better because thats the way it is. Im just saying they do go to far at times but its still alright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:19 pm 
TMO Reader

Power metal is the best!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:20 am 
TMO Regular

Fucking right it is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:40 am 
TMO Supporter

Man, too bad there's no such thing as "politically correct" metal, "I wanna always get in the last word" metal and most importantly "I'm always right" metal. As this is what most of you should really be into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:12 pm 
TMO Regular

<!--QuoteBegin-Spartan+Mar 28 2006, 06:40 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spartan @ Mar 28 2006, 06:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Man, too bad there's no such thing as "politically correct" metal, "I wanna always get in the last word" metal and most importantly "I'm always right" metal. As this is what most of you should really be into. [/quote]
Thanks for telling us what we should be doing ;)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:36 pm 
TMO Supporter

Quote:
Man, too bad there's no such thing as "politically correct" metal, "I wanna always get in the last word" metal and most importantly "I'm always right" metal. As this is what most of you should really be into.

Well two of those pretty much sum up human nature - who DOESN'T want to be right, or have the last word? :headbangdevil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:55 pm 
TMO Maniac

<!--QuoteBegin-Spartan+Mar 29 2006, 03:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spartan @ Mar 29 2006, 03:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Man, too bad there's no such thing as "politically correct" metal, "I wanna always get in the last word" metal and most importantly "I'm always right" metal. As this is what most of you should really be into. [/quote]
ok...im gonna come right out and say what i reckon quite a lot of us are thinking...Spartan...You're a wanker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:00 am 
TMO Regular

<!--QuoteBegin-Count-Tyr+Mar 30 2006, 04:55 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Count-Tyr @ Mar 30 2006, 04:55 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Spartan+Mar 29 2006, 03:40 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Spartan @ Mar 29 2006, 03:40 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Man, too bad there's no such thing as "politically correct" metal, "I wanna always get in the last word" metal and most importantly "I'm always right" metal. As this is what most of you should really be into. [/quote]
ok...im gonna come right out and say what i reckon quite a lot of us are thinking...Spartan...You're a wanker. [/quote]
Get immediatly out of my head ... I don't want you to know what I'm thinking and you prolly don't want to know what's going on inside there :whistling:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next