The Metal Observer Forums

The Metal Observer Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:14 am 
TMO Maniac

Grabbed it form another forum

The question: How many 5 year-olds could you take on at once?

The specifics
-----------------

- You are in an enclosed area, roughly the size of a basketball court. There are no foreign objects.
- You are not allowed to touch a wall.
- When you are knocked unconscious, you lose. When they are all knocked unconscious, they lose. Once a kid is knocked unconscious, that kid is "out."
- I (or someone else intent on seeing to it you fail) get to choose the kids from a pool that is twice the size of your magic number. The pool will be 50/50 in terms of gender and will have no discernable abnormalities in terms of demographics, other than they are all
healthy children.
- The kids receive one day of training from hand-to-hand combat experts who will train them specifically to team up to take down one adult. You will receive one hour of "counter-tactics" training.
- There is no protective padding for any combatant other than the standard-issue cup.
- The kids are motivated enough to not get scared, regardless of the bloodshed. Even the very last one will give it his/her best to take you down.

---

Im tired and this made me laugh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:19 am 
Official TMO Groundbreaker

Can I kick? Because if so, since I'm taller than them, I'll just kick them in the head a couple of times.

And I doubt the one day of hand-to-hand training would matter - everyone knows children don't listen until they're 10+. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:36 am 
TMO Nuts

I'd imagine quite a few. The hard part would be to not let them gang up on me. Other than that my intelligence, speed, strength and the dislike of kids would get me a long way. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:18 pm 
TMO Maniac

When I took Tae Kwon Do, on occassion when there were a disproportionate amount of teen/adult size people to kid size people, we would set up about 5 or 6 children (8-10 years old roughly) against each teenager. It was funny to just balance on my left leg and use my other three limbs to fend them off. We wore padding when we sparred so you could really send the little kids flying (not hitting them at full force or anything). This wasn't something done all that often, just for the fun of it (usually people spar with people around their own age). When the kids hit blackbelt level it was a little harder (just because they knew how to dodge better, you could still take their hits pretty damn easily).

I'm guessing, based on personal experience against children larger/older than what your situation proposes, it would just be an endurance test. I'm guessing 30 fairly easily. Their only hope is to attack in waves until the adult is too tired, that's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:28 pm 
TMO Reader

<!--QuoteBegin-Trunks+Nov 19 2006, 04:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Trunks @ Nov 19 2006, 04:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> When I took Tae Kwon Do, on occassion when there were a disproportionate amount of teen/adult size people to kid size people, we would set up about 5 or 6 children (8-10 years old roughly) against each teenager.  It was funny to just balance on my left leg and use my other three limbs to fend them off.  We wore padding when we sparred so you could really send the little kids flying (not hitting them at full force or anything).  This wasn't something done all that often, just for the fun of it (usually people spar with people around their own age).  When the kids hit blackbelt level it was a little harder (just because they knew how to dodge better, you could still take their hits pretty damn easily).

I'm guessing, based on personal experience against children larger/older than what your situation proposes, it would just be an endurance test.  I'm guessing  30 fairly easily.  Their only hope is to attack in waves until the adult is too tired, that's it. [/quote]
I hate sparring children. In my federation, sparring between adults is light contact, all hits above the belt. But I taught children's classes occasionally, so when I would spar with them, the rule is that, since I am a black belt, they could hit me as hard as they want, and I couldn't hit them at all, and I couldn't use any techniques they didn't know. Plus, I had to go at about quarter speed. Well, with those rules in place, no amount of black belt training is going to save your shins and groin from five year olds swinging blindly over and over until they hit something - and of course, they can't even reach above your belt. I could try to defend, but it's very hard for an adult to keep a stance low enough to defend against a child while still using proper technique.

But in the situation described, I'd say ten. I've defend against two adults before, and I could probably handle twice as many children as adults, simultaneously. Given that I could use my full range of techniques against them, I add some more to that number, but given that children are *much* more vicious fighters than adults...it all evens out to around ten.

More than that and it seems that they'd become a sort of rabid horde...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:26 am 
TMO Maniac

I didn't enjoy sparing anyone that wasn't around my own size either. It was kind of a waste of time. I'm happy we didn't do the "horde of midgets versus the giant" too often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:29 pm 
TMO Reader

You have revealed to myself what a terrible person I am, due to the fact that I am grinning broadly while thinking about snapping tiny five-year-old limbs and joints. Or would that not be allowed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:07 pm 
TMO Regular

I don't care how well the 5 year old kids combat trainer is, it will take alot of knowledge to take me down. Especially because they are so small, but I could squash atleast 10. But kids are devous, and they might try to give you the puppy eye look to make you feel empathetic for them, then uot of nowehre you get a dodgeball right in the nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:55 pm 
TMO Reader

You gotta keep in mind that the average adult (i.e. not Keith) will have an instinctual psychological aversion to harming the children (and I already foresee people saying "oh, not me, i could fuck anything up", but to that I say "false") BUT the children will have no such problem harming the adult. Kids are vicious as hell and would have no problem sinking their teeth into your achilles tendon while you muster up the gumption to "deal with" their friends taking you from the front.

You've got four sides, three of which are blind, and you can only defend one at a time. If they've got numbers, you're screwed. You've only got four limbs, two of which you can use offensively at a time without losing balance - if they charge you more than two at a time, they'll just chip away at your defenses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:09 am 
TMO Maniac

you really thought this out didn't you? :grinangel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:25 am 
TMO Devil

<!--QuoteBegin-Count-Tyr+Nov 18 2006, 03:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Count-Tyr @ Nov 18 2006, 03:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> - The kids receive one day of training from hand-to-hand combat experts who will train them specifically to team up to take down one adult. You will receive one hour of "counter-tactics" training.
[/quote]
I'm sorry, but if you took 5 kids and gave them carte blanche to fuck up an adult, not to mention an entire days worth of training, specifically to show them how to do it from hand-to-hand combat training experts... I don't give a shit if you're Steven Segal, you're goin' down...