The Metal Observer Forums

The Metal Observer Forums
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which Reviews Do You Want To See On Tmo?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:57 pm 
TMO Supporter

I might call dibs on the new Job for a Cowboy album :D Just got it, and they've changed a lot, and I like what I'm hearing, woot!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:00 am 
Brother of TMO - Matt

Haha - I must agree. New Job For A Cowboy is actually quite good. I wasn't a huge fan of their first album but they have gotten a lot better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:51 am 
TMO Supporter

It seems they're following the path most other Deathcore bands are taking - mainly taking out a lot of their Hardcore influences and replacing them with Death Metal. Now, for some reason, I seem to associate Deathcore as an "adolescent" version of Death Metal, like the bands "grow up" to become full-on Death bands. Does anyone see this too?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:02 pm 
Brother of TMO - Matt

Absolutely. I find it funny that many of them are doing this. Eventually the break downs just convert into mid tempo riffing. Black Dahlia Murder (arguably) have moved on, Job For A Cowboy, All Shall Perish. It's an interesting evolution.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:16 pm 
TMO Supporter

Suicide Silence has yet to follow this example though, given their new album "No Time to Bleed" still leans heavily on Deathcore -____-

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:52 pm 
Brother of TMO - Matt

...yeah I had a friend pick up the new Suicide Silence and I took a gander...EESH...I feel as though they are being left behind. I wasn't a fan of their sophomore album at all. Granted I listened to it only once and I may take another few spins just to solidify my thoughts on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:56 am 
TMO Supporter

Well, Rammstein are quite forgotten in the TMO reviews... :pcthrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:50 am 
Brother of TMO - Matt

NO RAMMSTEIN!!!

I'll make sure that to take note of that and move to fix said problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:03 pm 
TMO Supporter

darkreif wrote:
NO RAMMSTEIN!!!

I'll make sure that to take note of that and move to fix said problem.

Is that irony or true pain? (sorry, Internet can't explain this kind of problems)

P.S. NEW RAMMSTEIN SONG (SPOILER: Sounds like "Death Magnetic" meets "Rosenrot"): http://www.goear.com/listen/93a8081/Lie ... -Rammstein

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:18 am 
Brother of TMO - Matt

It was true emotion. I'm a big Rammstein fan and even though they tend to not be included with the Metal genre I love their material.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:34 pm 
TMO Supporter

darkreif wrote:
It was true emotion. I'm a big Rammstein fan and even though they tend to not be included with the Metal genre I love their material.

Then you understand me. I started (truly) listening to music thanks to Rammstein (and System of a Down, and Marilyn Manson...yeah, pretty sad, but I always hated the more "rappy" stuff), so thanks to "The Matrix" and "xXx" soundtracks (this is even more sad).

Well, fortunately I became (a bit) mature and opened my mind (when I listened to Rammstein I thought that Master of Puppets and The Number of the Beast was pretentious shit, really sissie and without any power...I was a total dick :surrender: ) and look at me now, listening to good ol' Barry (White), grandpas Coltrane and Davis...so, thanks Rammstein for...umm...this...xD

Nah, even if I've found a comfortable seat among the more progressive, experimental (or just strange) stuff in rock, metal or any other genre, I still have Rammstein and Manson in my heart...I'd like to show my ticket for the Rammstein show in Bilbao, November 4th, but I'm not really keen on scanning so...

Believe me, I've got it! And I paid 70 euros for the Limited Ultra Special Magnificent Blowjobbing Edition of Völkerball, with that huge (in every sense of this word) photo-book, two CDs, a Live DVD (really jawdropping) and a Documentary (which I haven't seen yet, sorry R+).

:stereo: I'm a freak, freak boy in a freak, freak world :stereo:
(you have to read that last sentence with the music of Emilia's "I'm a big big girl"...don't like it, just a reference)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:53 pm 
Brother of TMO - Matt

Yeah, I got my start into Metal through Nu Metal and Alternative Rock too. Comes with being born in the era I suppose, and bands like Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, and more specifically Disturbed and Static-X were my gateway into Metal. To this day I love all those bands although more or less my tastes in Metal have evolved to mostly include Thrash, Death, and Power Metal.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for some of those bands and I guarentee that I will be purchasing anything this Rammstein's name attached to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:34 am 
TMO Supporter

I seem to sense a feeling of embarrassment from people when they say they got into Metal through Nu-Metal or other similar means. I don't know why... especially since the bands that get people into Metal are generally awesome, regardless of the genre (System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, etc.).

On another note, I hate how Metal Archives doesn't include Nu-Metal bands as actual Metal! :pcthrow:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:44 am 
Brother of TMO - Armen

SepticFleshRot wrote:
On another note, I hate how Metal Archives doesn't include Nu-Metal bands as actual Metal! :pcthrow:

I find it a bit silly that they don't have The Dillinger Escape Plan or Ion Dissonance, but they have Faith No More and Mr. Bungle.

I love all four bands, but if you had to pick only two out of the above four to be included on a metal site, which two would you choose?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:06 am 
TMO Supporter

Icedneonflames wrote:
SepticFleshRot wrote:

I find it a bit silly that they don't have The Dillinger Escape Plan or Ion Dissonance, but they have Faith No More and Mr. Bungle.

I love all four bands, but if you had to pick only two out of the above four to be included on a metal site, which two would you choose?

In my opinion they are all metal to some extent. I also grew up on nu metal and a lot of other stuff that I don't consider complex anymore but, I think they are all worthy of inclusion. I too find it silly not to have The Dillinger Escape Plan or Ion Dissonance when they are obviously metal influenced.

Most of my favorite "metal" bands tend to fall into the nebulous genre categories because they are actually doing something NEW, so it is less identifiable. I guess this fact might make me more open to including bands with less metal influences, but still some, as actual metal bands as opposed to the real traditionalists who only want to listen to their same few bands and styles over and over.

My conclusion: It really doesn't matter what genre people consider certain groups. Genres are just a way of getting a vague idea about a band across to other people who also understand the differences between genres. There are bands that are avant-garde/progressive/jazz influenced (maybe Ephel Duath?). So go ahead and call non-metal bands metal if there is genuinely an influence.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next