It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Metal in the 00s!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:46 am 
Brother of TMO - Bear

merciless_dave wrote:
Bear wrote:
merciless_dave wrote:
without trying to sound like some elitist prick, they was only a handful of good albums/ep's released in the last decade. (the only thing released in the last 10 years thats still got me yerning for another listen is meshuggah's ep i)

Don't worry, any mention of Meshuggah eliminates ANY possibility you will be referred to as an elitist. However, apparently your taste would make my life very painful.

here's my problems with death metal on a whole

1) every death metal band is starting to sound like nile/behemoth, and i cant stand them bands bar 2 or 3 songs
2) deathcore/breakdowns
3) blast beating for the sake of blast beating (hate eternal/nile/etc)
4) absolute perfect production sapping the life out of albums, it sounds soulless. perfect example is arch enemy's root of all evil, sound quality is perfect, playings good, but it lacks the energy and passion the first albums had
5) opeth are possibly the most boring band in existance

and to ask the question, why would my taste make your life painful?

Actually I won't disagree with most of your points, except there is definitely plenty of solid raw nasty death metal still being produced, and I've enjoyed Opeth for years, but hardly as "death metal." Also, giving me examples that barely scratch the surface of the underground doesn't really help give your opinion much credence.

As for why it would make my life painful, I know there is plenty of good shit released every year. The catch is you have to dig through all the garbage to find it. You have to put the effort in, I think that anyone who says that there was nothing released last decade worth going back to simply hasn't put in the effort and wants everything handed to them on a silver platter. Hardly different than the trend following sheep who touts whatever the suits push at them. If you are listening to 300+ releases a year, then I guess, I'd just be bored to shit with your taste, but for some odd reason I doubt that is the case.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:06 pm 
Brother of TMO - Ailo

Bear wrote:
As for why it would make my life painful, I know there is plenty of good shit released every year. The catch is you have to dig through all the garbage to find it. You have to put the effort in, I think that anyone who says that there was nothing released last decade worth going back to simply hasn't put in the effort and wants everything handed to them on a silver platter. Hardly different than the trend following sheep who touts whatever the suits push at them. If you are listening to 300+ releases a year, then I guess, I'd just be bored to shit with your taste, but for some odd reason I doubt that is the case.

I have a friend who's always complaining that metal is dead and has become too commercialized. This is exactly what I tell him; you basically have to make an effort to find the diamonds amongst the coal. But yeah, there is definitely good new metal still being released.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:55 am 
TMO Supporter

there is tonnes of goodies out there waiting to be discovered. most of the stuff i check out is underground,i just love the d.i.y. scene and support it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:06 am 
Brother of TMO - Bear

donniethepunk wrote:
there is tonnes of goodies out there waiting to be discovered. most of the stuff i check out is underground,i just love the d.i.y. scene and support it.

I'm a big fan of the DIY scene, of course, I also know some labels that are more or less DIY as well. However, that is the stuff you have to search out. Fortunately there are sites like this out there for people, but unfortunately its becoming harder for people to find out about the music traditionally. If you aren't an internet junkie, its way too easy to miss out on things. We don't even have major metal publications in this country anymore.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:34 am 
TMO Supporter

good post,you are so right. you really need to be as you say an internet junkie to really find out whats going on and that is a shame. TMO is a great site and this forum can help but more is needed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:57 am 
Brother of TMO - Christopher

merciless_dave, I have advice for you.

In order to find the best of metal nowadays, I found it helps me to BE an elitist (but not in a mean way). By eliminating the crappy metal from your listening diet, you'll only have room for the cream of the crop. I'm able to hear less in order to judge bands because I have a good grasp on what I enjoy in the genre, and if a band does not have those characteristics, I can skip it safely without missing anything. With that said, I think in the past few years (since roughly 2006), metal has been going through a rebirth. The years between 1997 and 2006 were largely a nosedive in quality when compared to the formative years of metal, with a few exceptions.

Deathcore can be safely disregarded, as it has little or nothing to do with death metal besides the vocals.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:09 am 
TMO Supporter

thrashandbash wrote:
I have a good grasp on what I enjoy in the genre, and if a band does not have those characteristics, I can skip it safely without missing anything.

i feel personnally i do have a good grasp on my favourite genre, but the characteristics on the newer stuff dont appeal to me. im more than willing to try new bands, new albums, etc, but i just dont enjoy it as much as my favourites

any suggestions to really exceptionally good death metal released in the last 10 years, and ill give them a go?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:35 pm 
Brother of TMO - Bear

Well, since you are clearly of the old school persuasion I'll go with:

Ravenous - Assembled in Blasphemy
Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels
Acheron - The Final Conflict: The Last Days of God

All 3 old school gems from the last decade. There's more but I got shit to do...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:33 pm 
Brother of TMO - Christopher

merciless_dave wrote:
thrashandbash wrote:
I have a good grasp on what I enjoy in the genre, and if a band does not have those characteristics, I can skip it safely without missing anything.

i feel personnally i do have a good grasp on my favourite genre, but the characteristics on the newer stuff dont appeal to me. im more than willing to try new bands, new albums, etc, but i just dont enjoy it as much as my favourites

any suggestions to really exceptionally good death metal released in the last 10 years, and ill give them a go?

Sure. In addition to Dead Congregation (seconded as it is spectacular):

Asphyx - Death The Brutal Way
Blaspherian - Allegiance To The Will Of Damnation
The Amenta - Ocassus
Father Befouled - Obscura Nex Cultus
The Chasm - anything you can find, this band doesn't really do anything that is subpar
Inveracity - Extermination Of Millions
Immolation - Close To A World Below, Unholy Cult
Winterwolf - Cycle Of The Werewolf
Funebrarum - anything

That should be enough for now, I don't want to bombard you. Happy listening.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:21 am 
TMO Supporter

nice one guys,im going to check these out as well :thumbsup:

Profile E-mail